Saturday, February 12, 2011

Absolutely INCREDIBLE day!

Wow!! What a great day! We started late from Island Cove and then got hung up for close to an hour at the Chickamauga lock waiting for a barge to go through. I had been slightly apprehensive about locking thru with our trawler as it was my first time going through with a single screw! I had mapped out multiple scenarios in my mind on how to do it, etc. In the end though, it was a non-event. Super easy and painless. Only thing that "happened" was slightly bending the fender holder on starboard side up @ the pulpit. The fender holders are mounted to the rail outboard of the boat and as we were bringing the boat along side the bollard, the starboard fender holder rubbed a bit but no big deal- she bent right back into place. All my slight "apprehension" was unnecessary though- it was as easy as docking! Speaking of docking, you should have seen me dock tonight at our transient slip at Hales Bar. I had to do a 180 degree turn right up against their gas dock with hardly enough room for the boat. When I came in I thought for sure there was no way I'd get the boat in there. Happily though, given no other option, I glided her in with barely a tap of the rubrail to the dock. I am getting more and more comfortable with handling a single screw boat to where, at least thus far, I don't see any need for a bow thruster. The single diesel with her big prop bites into the water so well it is more responsive than our 38 Silverton Sport Bridge was with twin gas engines.
So...here are a bunch of pictures....scroll down.......

At Chickmauga Lock:
Photobucket

Caleb reading in his berth:
Photobucket

Dad and his Wall Street Journal:
Photobucket

Tied off inside the lock:
Photobucket

Yours truly:
Photobucket

Dad helping out with the lock maneuvers:
Photobucket

The bent fender holder:
Photobucket

Look how deep the lock is!
Photobucket

Dad checking out the lower helm:
Photobucket

A new friend of ours and fellow trawler enthusiast lives in downtown Chattanooga and was kind enough to walk over to the water front to take a few pictures of us underway:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cruisin':
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This GB owner has a nice set up!!
Photobucket



And home for the night (complete with close quarters maneuvering):
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

End the day with some putt putt:
Photobucket

The old power plant at Hales Bar:
Photobucket

And the end of the day....
Photobucket

Photobucket



All in all, an excellent, excellent day with my dad and son! The boat ran great and we all had a great time. We are looking forward to another day of fun on the river tomorrow....stay tuned!

P.S. I would be remiss if I did not give a BIG thank you to Terry and all of the great service department folks over at Island Cove. They have truly been instrumental in getting the mechanicals and electrical systems working properly. The fact that we made this little run today without issue is a testimony to their hard work, professionalism, and care. Thanks guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment